Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Just Another...

Friday...Bike to Work Day. Or...as some of us look at it...Just Another Day I Bike to Work. However, this morning was special. This morning I was up at 5am to take off for Head Quarters to set up a food stop for all the commuters.

{this is the time I usually get up...not leave...ugh}

It's pretty amazing how the mind works, and even more so when it's riding a bike at 5.45am with no coffee at the helm. While my brain was still engaged with ghost pirates, snakes wearing vests, and bacon next to waterfalls...my body was trying to turn over my pedals. In my sleepy condition my thoughts eventually started to focus on what was on the trail...and all the new faces on the trail. 'Look at all the Bike to Work Day' people out riding today! This is great.

But at the same time, why do so many people just ride in today. On this one designated day of riding in to work. My thoughts regressed to that of a High School student who was all irritated that 'their' band had gotten too big...a total 'I was listening to them when' mentality. I hadn't seen any of these people riding their bikes back in January when it was 33 degrees and raining everyday. Where were any of these people when we were battling frost bite and had to wear ski/work gloves? Where were they when...wait...what time is it again? 6am? I'm not on the trail for another hour usually...

Then it dawned on me that maybe I was the new guy on the trail to everyone riding in. Maybe I was the 'Where was this Single Speed riding, Chrome Bag wearing hipster...' in the minds of the people I saw that morning...

I told my mind to 'shut up' until we got to work and got some coffee.

{you know you live in Seattle when shadows excite you}

Our tent was a success. People were fed, some schwag was distributed...and all off the Starbucks grid. I can't wait to see if McDonald's will sponsor Drive Your Bike to Work Day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are (still) an inspiration!